Hidden in the Woods DVD Review : News and Reviews
HomeNews & ReviewsLocal BandsRankingsPhotosSponsorsAbout Us

News and Reviews

Hidden in the Woods DVD Review

by Drew Boyer on 09/17/13

Hidden in the Woods DVD CoverHidden in the Woods is a film that is based on true events, though this is extremely hard to believe given the gruesome content and nature of the film throughout.  Within the interview that is included in the 8-page collectible booklet, the director claims the film is 70% accurate to the true events and the other 30% is his own vision.  Regardless, Hidden in the Woods will keep you at the edge of your seat for the whole 98 minute run time and leave the story and some images burned in your mind forever.

The movie follows a couple of sisters and their brother who had escaped from their father, Felipe, who was a drug dealer.  Throughout the years, Felipe had abused the girls and brother and subjected them to monstrous atrocities that you only read about in books.  Their brother, Manuel, is deformed and had only been fed an all meat diet while he was locked in a shed.   After escaping from their father, the girls and their brother all go to a cabin deep within the woods where Felipe used to keep his drugs.  It is in this cabin the viewer is treated to a scene where the family cannibalizes a couple of hikers, who were up to no good, after they tried to attack one of the women.  We see dismemberment, blood, gore, guts, and just about everything you can imagine.  The special effects in this part of the film were very well done and made the scene seen believable.

A man named, Costello, is the leader of a drug gang and he wants Felipe’s drugs, so he decides to get other members of his gang to find the girls and torture them until they reveal where the drugs are hidden.  Some members of the drug gang finally find the cabin with the girls in it and start to torture them asking where the drugs are; however, they have no clue.  After some more blood flies, the girls and Manuel manage to escape into the woods.  The remaining two members of the drug gang go out to find them and kill them.  This chase sequence is very well done and so intense, it had the palms of my hands sweating and hoping the girls would get away.  Eventually, we are brought to the very final scene of the movie.  The final scene is so disturbing and so bloody, at times, I had to look away.  I kept telling myself, “It’s only special effects.”, but it was so well done, it almost seemed like reality.

I don’t want to reveal too much of this movie in this review, hence, why I’m a bit vague on a few things because there are a couple of twists in the story at the end.  Overall, this movie was sick, disgusting, gory, and extremely bloody, but I liked it.  It was very well done and the story line was very believable, obviously, because it was mostly true.  Hidden in the Woods is a movie that I recommend almost any Horror fan to watch as it’s a story of survival and revenge at its most extreme.  Overall, I give Hidden in the Woods a 5/5 stars.  It’s definitely worth buying and keeping in your collection as you may want to watch it multiple times.


Overall rating:  5/5 stars


Special Features:

Interview with Director Patricio Valladares
8-Page Collectible Booklet
Behind the Scenes Featurette
Artsploitation Trailers

Hidden in the Woods is available now on DVD and VOD!  Get your copy today!
 

Comments (0)


Leave a comment


Contact Us
Dark Skies - Video Review (pt. 1/2)
Dark Skies - Video Review (pt. 2/2)